Monday 11 October 2010

Jammie goodness

I've always been curious about making jam but have heard so many different things about it from "Oh it's really easy!!" to "Aghhhhh it's so hard! I overcooked it and made toffee!!!" so I've always been a bit dubious about having a go. Add to that I have very expensive pans that my bf bought for me last Christmas so don't exactly want to go ruining them!
So when I saw a recipe which meant you could make jam in the microwave I just had to give it a go!!!

Raspberry Jam (made in the microwave!)
(original recipe can be found here Easy Microwave Jam)

Ingredients
500g raspberries
juice of 1 lemon
1lb jam sugar (this already has pectin in it, the stuff that makes it set, so there's no need to add any extra!)
(yes this recipe's measurements are totally weird.... sorry!)

Method
1. Place a small saucer in the freezer (all will, hopefully, become clear later). Wash the raspberries and place them in a LARGE microwaveable bowl along with the lemon juice. (I used a large plastic one I bought from Asda for like £2 or something ridiculous like that).
2. Microwave on max for 4-5mins until the fruit is soft.
3. Stir in the sugar and microwave for a further 20mins stirring every 5mins or so.
4. Drop a small amount on to the cold saucer and check for the setting point. (It should wrinkle and be firm, however with this method will be more liquid than normal.)
5. Add 5 mins more cooking if necessary and test again.
6. Leave to stand for 5mins and then spoon into hot sterilised jars, seal and label.


The original recipe said that this would fill 2 normal jam jars however I think I could've done with 3 as I have some left over!!

To sterilise the jars many people just wash them in hot soapy water and then place them in the oven to get hot (WARNING!!! Put them in when the oven is COLD otherwise you will probably end up with cracked jars!).

If you have no idea where to get jam jars or anything like that then I suggest having a google for a cookshop near you (not likely to be able to get these in your local supermarket). If that fails then there are some links below where you can get stuff from. :)
Jam Jars (they only come in packs of 12 but that means you can make jam as presents! Or just keep them as spares if you're clumsy like me.)
Waxed Circles (you'll need these unless you want to have moudly jam! Yum!)
Labels (any old label will do but I thought these were cute.)


N.B. I only just tried this recipe so I'm not sure if it works as my jam is setting as I type this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...