Friday 2 December 2011

25 Day Harry Potter Challenge - 5. What's your wand made of? What's the core?

I'm going to tell you what Pottermore gave me as my wand as, to me, it seems to fit me perfectly.


Okay so my wand is 10 inches long, red oak with a unicorn hair core.  Here's some explanations from Pottermore and Mr Ollivander.

"Red Oak
You will often hear the ignorant say that red oak is an infallible sign of its owner’s hot temper. In fact, the true match for a red oak wand is possessed of unusually fast reactions, making it a perfect duelling wand. Less common than English oak, I have found that its ideal master is light of touch, quick-witted and adaptable, often the creator of distinctive, trademark spells, and a good man or woman to have beside one in a fight. Red oak wands are, in my opinion, among the most handsome."


"Unicorn Hair
Unicorn Hair generally produces the most consistent magic, and is least subject to fluctuations and blockages.  Wands with unicorn cores are generally the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts.  They are the most faithful of all wands, and usually remain strongly attached to their first owner, irrespective of whether he or she was an accomplished witch or wizard.
Minor disadvantages of unicorn hair are that they do not make the most powerful wands (although the wand wood may compensate) and that they are prone to melancholy if seriously mishandled, meaning that the hair my 'die' and need replacing."


If you want to find out more about the 25 Day Harry Potter Challenge then click here!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...